HSA/HDHP Limits Increase for 2022
On May 10, 2021, the IRS released Revenue Procedure 2021-25 to provide the inflation-adjusted limits for health savings accounts (HSAs) and high deductible health plans (HDHPs) for 2022. The IRS is required to publish these limits by June 1 of each year.
These limits include:
- The maximum HSA contribution limit;
- The minimum deductible amount for HDHPs; and
- The maximum out-of-pocket expense limit for HDHPs.
These limits vary based on whether an individual has self-only or family coverage under an HDHP.
Eligible individuals with self-only HDHP coverage will be able to contribute $3,650 to their HSAs for 2022, up from $3,600 for 2021. Eligible individuals with family HDHP coverage will be able to contribute $7,300 to their HSAs for 2022, up from $7,200 for 2021. Individuals who are age 55 or older are permitted to make an additional $1,000 “catch-up” contribution to their HSAs.
The minimum deductible amount for HDHPs remains the same for 2022 plan years ($1,400 for self-only coverage and $2,800 for family coverage). However, the HDHP maximum out-of-pocket expense limit increases to $7,050 for self-only coverage and $14,100 for family coverage.
Employers that sponsor HDHPs should review their plan’s cost-sharing limits (minimum deductibles and maximum out-of-pocket expense limit) when preparing for the plan year beginning in 2022. Also, employers that allow employees to make pre-tax HSA contributions should update their plan communications for the increased contribution limits.
- Each year, the IRS announces inflation-adjusted limits for HSAs and HDHPs.
- By law, the IRS is required to announce these limits by June 1 of each year.
- The adjusted contribution limits for HSAs take effect as of Jan. 1, 2022.
- The adjusted HDHP cost-sharing limits take effect for the plan year beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2022.
January 1, 2022,
The new contribution limits for HSAs become effective.
2022 Plan Years
The HDHP cost-sharing limits for 2022 apply for plan years beginning on or after Jan. 1, 2022.
Download the full PDF here – HSA/HDHP Limits Increase for 2022